The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE), member of Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies (QFIS), organizes a specialized seminar on “Environment & Ethics” in January 4th-6th, 2014 at the premises of QFIS.
This event comes among a series of specialized seminars organized by CILE where a top-notch group of scholars and experts participate to discuss the most important issues in different disciplines including: politics, economics, media, bioethics, arts, environment, education, gender issues, psychology, and methodology.
The center seeks to deepen discussions on these contemporary issues and provide some ethical approaches developed by both the scholars of text and scholars of context.
The environment seminar attempts to answer two questions:
1. What are the major contemporary environmental issues and which religious and ethical input is available to help solve them?
2. What are the ethical principles that can provide a framework for addressing contemporary environmental challenges?
The participation in this seminar is limited to some scholars of Shariah along with some Environmentalists. The participants in the seminar are:
- Dr. Ali Al Qaradaghi: Secretary General of International Union of Muslim scholars.
- Dr. Saif Ehajari: head of Friends of The Environment Center.
- Dr. Syed Nomanul Haq: Professor and Adviser, Department of the Social Sciences and Liberal Arts, Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi.
- Dr. Dick Shaw: Environmentalist, Deputy Director of CABI international at the UK Centre and Regional Coordinator for Invasives in Europe and the Americas.
- Dr. Abdelmajid Najar: Professor in Islamic philosophy, member of the Tunisian parliament.
- Dr. Benjamine Hale: associate professor in the Philosophy Department and the Environmental Studies Program at the University of Colorado.
- Dr. Franz Gottwald: Professor in Environment, Agriculture and Food Ethics and Director of the 'Schweisfurth-Stiftung'.
- Dr. Abdelmajid Tribak: Researcher in Environment and impact studies, Engineer in Principal State of water and forests, PhD in environment and urban planning.
- Dr. Ibrahim Ozdemir: environmentalist and professor of philosophy and ecology and religion at Ankara University, Turkey,.
The seminar will be moderated by Dr Mawil Izzi Dein, Professor of Islamic Studies at Wales University, Dr Tariq Ramadan, CILE Executive Director, and Mr Chaoiki Lazhar, CILE deputy director.
In parallel with the closed event, a public lecture on “Consumerism from ethical and environmental perspective” will be held on Sunday, 6th January at 7:00 pm at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies. Dr. Ali Al Qaradaghi, Dr. Saif Ehajari, Dr. Dick Shaw and Dr. Syed Nomanul Haq will participate in this public lecture.