To establish the necessary research infrastructure to advance the mission of CILE, to manage research strategy and administrative affairs of CILE and to create sustainable environment for research growth and excellence as well as internal and external research engagement with entities of similar interests.
Key Result Areas
- Conduct, facilitate and manage leading-edge research in the field of Islamic Ethics as an interdisciplinary field of research in the broad discipline of Islamic Studies
- Develop networks between CILE and other national, regional, and international entities to promote research collaboration and create research partnerships
- Promote community engagement and transfer knowledge to society through outreach (e.g. seminars; conferences; public lectures; websites and social media)
- Lead strategic planning for CILE and ensure that the center’s objectives are aligned with the college and university’s strategic plan objectives
- Oversee CILE’s administrative duties, financial operations, and personnel management
- Develop and manage a rigorous research plan for CILE and ensure that standards and quality of research and research ethics are met as per college and university regulations
- Develop CILE’s publication plan, publish CILE’s research at renowned publishing outlets and encourage open access to enhance CILE’s research production
- Oversee the creation of annual progress and performance reports for CIS-HBKU leadership; provide analyses and make recommendations and presentations as requested
- Oversee the development and implementation of the center approved initiatives and oversees liaisons with CIS, HBKU, and Education City entities for acquisition of required services and resources to ensure delivery of the center objectives and goals
- Develop and maintain relationships with the CIS Research Division and other research entities in the Education City and seek collaborative opportunities that will produce positive synergies and ensure significant impact
- Provide the necessary support to the MA program in Applied Islamic Ethics at the College of Islamic Studies and work closely with senior management to attract high caliber students, teaching and research staff
- Identify and pursue external funding to complement existing resources and funding
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Communications and Working Relationships
- Supervisor - daily contact to provide recommendations and updates, and to receive work instructions guidance and approvals
- CIS Research Division and other research entities in the Education City– as needed to seek collaborative opportunities
- Administrative Team - regular contact to plan activities and provide guidance
- Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- PhD in Islamic Studies or a field related to Islamic Ethics from an accredited and prominent university
- Professor rank is a must
- Minimum 10 years of post-doctorate experience in an academic institution, with a clear research focus on Islamic Ethics and milestone achievements in research leadership in this field
- Knowledge and experience of local and international research regulatory/funding bodies and their requirements
- A strong research record demonstrated in academic publications and funded research grants, which examine issues related to both theoretical and applied ethics in the Islamic tradition
- Proven excellence in own specialized area of expertise to support the development of knowledge, innovation and understanding within the field of Islamic Ethics, in both its theoretical underpinnings and applied fields
- Excellent understanding of various research compliance and quality assurance activities, methods and tools used in educational institutions
- Strong understanding of management principles, with ability to assume authority, responsibility, and accountability
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks and people simultaneously in a fast-paced, rapid-growth, and high- intensity environment where collaboration, optimism, courage, innovation, and excellence are highly valued
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and lead large-scale funded research projects which enhance the field of Islamic Ethics
- Rigorous strategic thinking and outstanding analytical and negotiation skills
- Excellent ability to collaborate, lead and manage in diverse groups, cultures, and communities
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely; Arabic proficiency is an advantage
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
How to Apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and will continue until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as housing & transportation allowances, children educational assistance, annual paid leave, airfares, and medical insurance etc.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University, being an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.