The Center for Islamic Education De Toekomst (CIET) in collaboration with the Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) will organize a two-day seminar entitled "Introduction to Islamic Ethics", on January 30th and 31st, 2016, at the Education Center Guislain, Ghent.
The two-day seminar will be presented by Prof. Tariq Ramadan, CILE Director, and will be based on his latest book, A Very Short Introduction to Islamic Ethics. To register, please follow this link.
The program has six sessions, as follows:
Saturday, January 30, 2016: THEORETICAL FRAMEWORK
Session 1 / 10:00 to 11:30 am
1. Basic terminology: the essential concepts in Arabic and English.
2. The meaning of "reform": the conception of God, the world, the human being and human action.
3. The difference between principles, means and goals.
4. Classification of Islamic sciences and ethics in various applications.
Session 2/ 12.00 to 1:30 pm
1. Introduction to law and jurisprudence and their relationship with ethics.
2. Introduction to theological philosophy and its relationship with ethics.
3. Introduction to Sufism and its relationship with ethics.
Session 3 / 3:00 to 5:00 pm
1. The different methodologies and how to reconcile them.
2. Connecting the sources, the rules and the objectives.
3. The sciences and their interdependence.
Sunday, January 31, 2016 - PRACTICAL APPROACH
Session 4 / 10:00 to 11:30 am
1. Contemporary issues and ethics.
2. God, Man, Nature: environment.
3. Consumption and ethics.
Session 5 (practical case studies) / 12:00 to 1:30 pm
1. Economy and ethical challenges
2. Medicine and Ethics: practical case studies
Session 6 (practical case studies) / 3:00 to 5:00 pm
1. Psychology and ethics
2. Arts and well-being
[Note: The seminar will be presented in English. Translation is not available.]
Video: Dr Tariq Ramadan introducing the seminar on 30-31st January 2016