Dr. Khaled Abou El-Fadl, Professor, Islamic Law, School of Law, University of California, Los Angeles
- Title: "Forced Migration and the Ethics of Shariah."
- Brief: The world confronts an unprecedented challenge from internally displaced people and international refugees. The presentation will offer reflections on the ethical imperatives of Shariah in response to this international crisis.
Dr. Ahmed Al-Dawoody, Legal Adviser, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Geneva
- Title: “Protection of Refugees Under Islamic Law.”
- Brief: The presentation will give a brief overview of the Islamic legal framework providing protection to refuges. It will discuss the rights and duties of refugees under Islamic law.
Dr. Ray Jureidini, Professor, Migration Ethics and Human Rights, CILE, CIS, HBKU, Doha
- Title: “Labour Migration and Ethics of Reform”
- Brief: The vexed conditions of migrant labour under the kafala sponsorship system has led to calls for its abolition. The presentation will discuss recent legislative reforms to kafala in Qatar that are unique to the region.