The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) is an academic center based in the College of Islamic Studies, Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Qatar, with international orientation and an ambitious research agenda. One of CILE’s key instruments to achieve its Vision and Mission is producing original, high-quality, impactful and interdisciplinary research in mainly twelve key fields where Islamic Ethics intersects with twelve research domains, namely Arts, Economics, Education, Environment, Food, Gender, Media, Medicine & Bioethics, Methodology of Ethics, Migration & Human Rights, Politics and Psychology.
CILE would like to recruit visiting scholars to enrich CILE research activities in the fields of Arts, Economics, Education, Environment, Food, Gender, Media, andPsychology by organizing interdisciplinary seminars on topics related to the interplay of Islamic ethics and aforementioned fields. The potential visiting professor should prepare a full proposal in specific theme of his/her choice. The structure of the seminar should have a strong interdisciplinary character involving, among others, both Scholars of Text and Context. The seminar should be based on a call for papers which will go through a normal scholarly review process and will ultimately lead to a refereed publication fitting within the scope of the CILE Journal of Islamic Ethics, or the book-series Studies in Islamic Ethics, both published by Brill.
(B) Qualifications & Tasks
The ideal candidate for this type of scholarship is a highly qualified academic scholar who can stay in Doha for the period of 6 months (anytime between March and December 2019) and who has the following academic qualifications:
- A strong publication record in one of the fields of Islamic studies that indicates interdisciplinary skills and an academic career demonstrating an ability to lead group-oriented research and organization of such seminars.
- Multilingual excellence: Participants in CILE seminars often include those who are only proficient in Arabic or English. In order to be able to manage the research-related activities of the seminar, the prospective professor should be proficient in at least both Arabic and English.
The tasks of the selected candidate will include:
- Drafting the Background Paper and Call for Papers for the prospective seminar. The background paper should be prepared in both English and Arabic. For an example of a Background Paper, which we used for one of the CILE previous seminars, please visit this link for the English version and this link for the Arabic version.
- Leading the Call-for-Papers process and chairing the review committee which will be responsible for selecting the papers to be presented in the seminar. An example of the call for papers in English is available here and the Arabic version is available here.
- Moderating the three-day seminar, which will be held in Doha. The exact dates of the seminar will be determined in agreement between CILE and the selected candidate.
- Preparing and implementing a publication plan for the proceedings of the seminar. This will be done in coordination with the Managing Editor of the CILE Journal of Islamic Ethics.
- Writing a paper to be included in the publication resulting from the seminar. The paper should be related to the main theme of the seminar and should be based on original material which was not published before.
- Writing a scholarly report on the seminar afterwards in both English and Arabic. An example is available here and here.
- The candidate may also teach a course related to the field of Islamic Ethics in the College of Islamic Studies at Hamad Bin Khalifa University.
CILE will offer the following benefits and facilities for the selected candidate:
- Accommodation during the six-month period of the visit.
- Covering the logistic costs related to the organization of the seminar including travel and accommodation costs of the selected candidate and up to the maximum of twelve participants in the seminar.
- Covering of the costs of making the publication available via open access.
- A highly competitive stipend, which will be awarded to the selected candidates by the successful completion of the abovementioned tasks.
(D) How to submit?
Please send the following documents/information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A short biography and updated CV
- A draft of the Background Paper on the main theme of the seminar that you plan to organize.
We continue considering submissions until the scholarships are assigned to the successful candidates.
About the Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE):
CILE aims to contribute to the reform and renew the Islamic thought by developing a contemporary vision guided by the fundamental principles of the Holy Qur’an, Sunnah and the higher objectives of Islamic Shariah. For more information, please contact: CILE Office.