Submissions should be sent to:
Dr. Carrie York Al-Karam
carrie-alkaram (@) uiowa . edu
The Doha-based Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) is pleased to invite scholars, academics, and researchers to submit research papers to a closed three-day seminar entitled
Islamic Psychology: Defining a Discipline
to be held in Doha during the period April 2-4, 2018. The scope of this seminar is concise in nature in that its aim is to produce a preliminary definition and theoretical framework for the emerging discipline of Islamic Psychology. As such, papers should be written with this objective in mind and scholars should be prepared to work towards this goal at the seminar. Therefore, authors need to have a grasp of the multilevel interdisciplinary paradigm (MIP) as discussed in the Background Paper. Successful papers should:
- Critique the MIP as a framework for an emerging Islamic Psychology discipline (add to it, detract from it etc.).
- Propose other possible theoretical frameworks, with a clear and concise explication of the model and its conceptual underpinnings.
- Offer a comprehensive (albeit preliminary) definition of Islamic Psychology.
In addition to these foundational issues, we would also be interested in evaluating examples of specific Islamic Psychology scholarship particularly of the modern age. Papers of this nature would need to provide a definition of Islamic Psychology and use the MIP or another theoretical model as a way to ground the work. Such a paper would have to provide an overview of the topic, how it fits within the MIP (or another proposed paradigm), and how this scholarship is connected (in both directions) to Islamic Psychology (as he/she defines it) and the scholar’s main discipline. Other types of submissions we would consider are analyses of contemporary discussions between Islamic religious scholars on psychology related matters.
Note: All papers must be original and should in no way be a duplication of work published elsewhere, whether ones own or that of another scholar. Papers should also not be offensive or libelous. The work should be intended for scholars and researchers and fall within the scope of Islamic Ethics, both in its theoretical and/or applied and empirical dimensions. Where possible, authors should discuss and make suggestions for ways to improve contemporary Islamic thought. (See "Instructions for Authors" on CILE website (www.cilecenter.org).
Those who are interested should read the Background Paper and then send:
- An abstract (300-500 words), describing the research’s core ideas and how they will be addressed in light of the Background Paper
- A brief biography (max 500 words) outlining the applicant’s academic background, main research interests, and key publications
Deadline for abstract submission is October 1st, 2017
Submissions (abstracts, bios and full papers) can be written in either English or Arabic. Authors whose abstracts are accepted will be invited to provide full papers (7500 word max.) by January 15th, 2018. Authors of a selection of the accepted papers will be invited to participate in the seminar. Other accepted papers will be considered for the publication project.
Plan of the Refereed Publication with Brill Publishers
A thematic issue on Islamic Psychology in the Journal of Islamic Ethics (JIE) or a special volume in the book series Studies in Islamic Ethics (SIE) published by CILE and Brill Publishers (Leiden, Netherlands) is one of the deliverables of this project. Thus, accepted submissions in this call-for-papers will undergo the usual peer-review process for inclusion in the publication project.
CILE will offer the authors of accepted papers the following benefits:
- Refereed publication
- Cover of the costs of making the publication available via open access
For those who will be invited to present their papers during the closed seminar, the following additional benefits apply:
- Travel and accommodation costs during the three days of the seminar in Qatar.
- Translation of the submitted paper into Arabic or English
- Abstract submission deadline: October 1st, 2017
- Decision deadline: October 20thth, 2017
- Final paper submission deadline: January 15th, 2018
- Decision on final papers: February 20th, 2018
- Seminar at CILE in Qatar: April 2-4, 2018
- Publication release date: TBD
Add new comment